Friday, June 11, 2010

BECAUSE I AM CHEAP...AND LAZY...AND MAYBE A BIT CREATIVE

I am so excited about these cutie jammies I made this week. They are made of recycled T-shirts and mark an epoch in my sewing journey...first reverse applique! The best thing...it was quick (can I get an amen?!).

My tip for easy sewing of quick things for kiddos? Use an existing hem! I REALLY hate hemming, especially knits. They always seem puckery and not professional looking. So...I cheat (yes. this is definitely a draw in the repurposing-old-clothing-into-new kick that I am currently on.)
See the photo below...I cut the pieces out by laying the edges that would need to be hemmed on the already hemmed edge of the old shirt that I am using for the fabric. Then all that remains to be done is to sew up the side seams and stitch ribbing around the arm/neck holes (on a shirt) or add elastic in a casing to the waist (in shorts).



Then your munchkin can run around outside in the newly completed jammies! Yes, they did eventually make it to bedtime, but hey...it's hard to get a good photo in near darkness! Incidentally, the dress that big sis is wearing is a refashion too--a men's shirt turned into dress that is super comfy and cute.


Happy lazy day sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment